Sunday, April 25, 2010

I'm back

Not that there is anyone reading this to know, but as I was working in the yard today I saw birds flying from tree to tree and began to think about the beauty their song.  At that moment I realized that birds don't sing for the enjoyment of others, they sing because that is what God made them to do.  For all of my life I have struggled with how to pray.  I do great with little short prayers throughout the day, but sitting (or kneeling) down at a certain time of day to focus on God and my relationship with God has always been a struggle for me.  I made a focused and conscious daily attempt to pray a part of my Lenten activities (for lack of a better word) this year.  I did well for most of Lent at putting in the time, even if it was sometimes awkward.  But, as most Lenten resolutions (again, cannot really find the right word for it), I have struggled post-Easter. There always seems to be some excuse I have made at the end of the day, always something else that seems more important in the moment than prayer.

As with a great many things in my life, I struggle with making the right decision in the moment. I assume most people do, and that is how we get into trouble, i.e., commit sin. I struggle with that with food and with prayer.  So, there I am, struggling to make my back yard presentable, thinking about the birds and I realize, just like the birds sing because that is what God has made them to do, so has God made us, and more specifically me, to worship Him, to praise Him.  I thought, if I cannot do in a "normal" way by kneeling each night and reflecting in prayer I will do it on here, since no one reads this anyway. This will be my own little journal of prayer.  So, if you have somehow stumbled upon this blog, I hope God has worked through me in some way to reach you.

No comments: