Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Delays and friends in need

I have gone and done it again.  I fall into this mental trap where I don't feel like I have anything insightful or profound to say so I simply don't post anything for a long time.  I have actually worked on three different posts since my last installment, but they are very long and will take some time.  Every time I get like this I have to remind myself that if I am leaving the content of this site up to what comes from me, then I am in BIG trouble. Eventually, like now, I finally get it through my head (again) that if this site is going to have appeal to anyone, except maybe me, what I post on here will have to come from the Holy Spirit.  Only words inspired by the Holy Spirit will make the kind of difference in people's lives I want to make.  So, here goes . . .

I got a email type message (don't know exactly what to call them) on Facebook from a law school friend of mine about some trouble in his life.  This friend has a history of drugs and gambling.  In law school he would often times call to "borrow" money to pay off a bookie.  Every time, true to his word, he would pay me right back within a very short time.  He seemed to be a fairly good gambler, but gambling is one of those things that tends to catch up to you no matter how well you do it.  Anyway, I get a message over the weekend saying he is stranded in Texas, estranged from his family, without a car and without money. 

I must really be growing as a Catholic because I was able to stop my initial reaction before it came all the way out.  My initial reaction a few years back would have been something very un-Catholic. But after giving some thought and reflection to this, I realized that it was OK to wonder what role his two bad habits played in his condition without being judgmental towards him.  After all, he has a law degree and even if he hasn't passed the bar having a doctoral degree opens lots of doors.  Last night I prayed over what I can do to help.  I realized that I could send a small amount of money, but that really isn't going to help his situation.  At the same time, I have family that could use what little money I could afford to send almost as much as this friend.

So now I am looking for ways to help him.  I feel horrible that I cannot do more, but I have to find whatever I can to help him.  I am hoping to find a way to help him with his long term issues, because I am powerless to help him with his immediate problems.  If you know of help in the Houston area please let me know so I can pass it along to him.  If you have any ideas of any kind please feel free to share.

No comments: