Thursday, August 26, 2010

Electricity and God

My wife is a self-described agnostic.  She would probably be more accurately described at a agnostic atheist, or one who does not have belief in the existence of any deity, and agnostic because they do not claim to know that a deity does not exist.  In fact, I have heard her say almost that exact thing several times.

I believe that one of the callings of my life is to convert her to Catholicism.  One way I try to do this is by reasoning with her.  While sitting outside this evening enjoying the lovely night air, listening to the Newsboys and reading The United States Catholic Catechism for Adults the thought popped into my head that "God is like electricity, absolute proof of either requires death."  If she applied the level of proof my wife requires for belief in God to electricity only by feeling the electrical current coursing through her body, which would result in her death, could she truly believe that electricity exists.  However, as with everyone in modern societies, she believes  that electricity exists because she flips a switch and a light comes on (assuming the bill has been paid).  Were she to apply that level of proof to God, she would need no more than pick up the bible and read to realize the effects of God made man.  I hope and pray she opens her heart to the love of God without the death requirement. 

"If you want to be happy, really really happy, use your talents to serve others." - Eduardo Verastegui

No comments: