Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Hello, hello again

It has been some time since I have been able to post.  I have a few bigger posts on my brain. It seems odd that a few things have all sort of collided together for me this week.  I listen to Father Robert Barron's podcast on the Sunday weekly readings.  I listen to a podcast by 3 now priests but started as seminarians called Catholic Stuff You Should Know.  They haven't put out a new episode in a while, so I am re-listening to old episodes.  I am also reading a blog called "Those Catholic Men."  (One of the priests is a contributer for that blog.)  All three co-ensided with one topic, that being a Christian, the reality of being a Christian is about relationships.  This has really hit me. 

I have a lot to think about on this, but my initial thoughts are this . . . it makes sense.  Of course!!!  If we as humans are made in the image and likeness of God, the question becomes what image is that?  I think you have to accept 2 points: 1)  God is Love; and 2) the fact of the Trinitarian God.  If those two things are true, our increasingly inward looking, self-centered society has gone further and further away from the Christianity that converted the Roman Empire.

These are truths that my life experienced has cemented as true.  It took the convergence of those three voices to people like me for it to crystallize in my mind's eye.  It was an a-ha moment that has radically changed my outlook, but somehow has always informed. it.  I can't explain it, other than to say it is old and new at the same time.  Something I just learned and have always known.  Something I don't completely understand, but can't wait to contemplate and apply to my life.

"If you want to be happy, really really happy, use your talents to serve others." - Eduardo Verastegui

No comments: