Thursday, June 26, 2014

Psalm 33 (or 34)

In the past few months I have been reading the Douay Rhemis version of the Bible.  The US Bishops dictate that New American Bible (NAB) is used during Mass, but the more I study the scriptures, the more I find that version wanting.  For several years now I have had an app for my phone with different translations of the Bible.  In sticking with the Bishops I have always read the NAB.  The Douay Rhemis is a difficult read as it is written in a style of English that is not used today.  Whereas, the NAB is written for a broad audience.

It is this difficulty that has made my reading of the scripture come alive.  Because it is more difficult to understand, I have to think about what I am reading.  When I read a verse in the Douay Rhems, I have to restate it in my mind in a way that I can understand -- into my own words.  In doing this I process the verse and take into myself.  With the NAB, which is more plainly written, I find myself more prone to not take the words into myself and they just slip through my consciecness. 

Somewhere along the line of the different translations the numbering of the Psalms got mixed up.  I don't know why or when it happened, or any other details about it, I just know that the numbering is different depending on what translation you a reading. In the middle of this Psalm,  it says, "Who is the man that desireth life: who loveth to see good days?" Psalm 33:13. (See what I mean about the language of the Douay Rhems?)  The NAB translate that to, "Who among you loves life, takes delight in prosperous days?" Psalm 34:13.

What does that mean, to "love life," or more applicably, how does the person that "loves life" live?  A modern person might say it means to go out and do those things that you like.  Another might say it means to do things that make you feel alive.  Some might say it means to enjoy family and friends.  It is easy to see where a self-centered mind set can take this verse and profess it to be Biblical approval for doing whatever the individual wants.  The modern approach to perfection is seen in outward, physical beauty.  This may be in owning the best car, the newest smartphone, the biggest house, the fanciest furnishing, the right look.

For those of us who seek something more than the endless and hopeless task of fulfilling our every concupiscent desire, the answer to that question is much more complex. It is this search that informs the very basis of our, or at least my, Christian life.  How do I manifest my desire for eternal life?  What do I view as a "good day"?  More importantly, how do I keep my perspective being that today being is good/prosperous day even when things are bad? The only answer I have is PRAYER.  It is through prayer that I have found the ability to have the joy that is knowing God love you and will provide for you.  It is this joy which keeps me balanced.   It is this joy that keeps me striving to empty myself and allow God to fill me.  The harder I work at emptying my will, the more he fills me up.

"If you want to be happy, really really happy, use your talents to serve others." - Eduardo Verastegui

No comments: