Saturday, June 21, 2014

Uncharted territory

 My parents instilled in my a very strong work ethic. (I think we should create a new word called worthic which means "worth ethic."  I am going to google that word in a few days and see if this post comes up.)  Anyway, I am taking a week-long vacation for the first time in a long time.  My goal is to post something, even it is something small, every day.  I want to see what I can come up with when I don't have the pressures of my "real job" on a daily basis. 

I started reading Father Longenecker's book More Christianity.*  In this book, Father Longenecker sets out to explain the Catholic faith in its fullness to an Evangelical Protestant.  I hope it inspires me to start to forulate a presentation I have in my head that I want to give at my local parish for non-Catholics in the community setting out why we believe what we believe.  In a world where I get what I want, I would have Father Longeneck's book read and most of that presentation completed by the end of my vacation.  We will see how that goes . . .

*that is another goal of my vacation week is to read at least that book.


One thing I think about a lot when it comes to our Protestant brothers and sisters is how they get to the believes they do.  One large sticking point is of course the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist.  One of the ways I have devised to discuss this issue with a Protestant who would be willing to have an open conversation about it (something that is hard do to because: 1) religion is an emotional hot button issue for many; and 2) no one wants to admit they are wrong -- me or anyone.)  But my question is intended more for them to think than attempting to force them to any admission of a shortcoming. 

Here are the following preconditions necessary for the question, but all are sure to be readily admitted to and full-heartily believed by every self-professed Christian:

1) Jesus died for our sins on the cross;
2) Jesus rose from the dead; and
3) at the very end of Matthew's Gospel, Jesus says He will be with us always.

With those givens in place, here is the question:

If Jesus is alive and will be with us always, where is the alive body of Christ in your Church? 

I would expect some precarious verbal gymnastics and dancing around the issue.  And that's fine.  But the question isn't intended to put them on the spot and demands an immediate answer.  The question is hopeful to make them think and question the foundations of their denomination (it just hit me, does that word not sound an awful lot like demon? -- makes me wonder even more if the division of Jesus' people was not wrought by Luther, a lot like Lucifer . . . ?)






"If you want to be happy, really really happy, use your talents to serve others." - Eduardo Verastegui

No comments: