Saturday, May 8, 2010

Decisions, decisions

In contemplating this blog and its role in my life, I am trying to decide whether to spend any money on it, i.e. registering a domain name, etc. and its focus. The title is "A Catholic View," but I have found another blog with this same title. I should have known that someone would have already chosen such an uncreative title. That blog is older and honestly much better. So, I guess I need to change the name. The next question is "what name to change it to?" For that I must look at the description I have for the blog. How I currently describe it, in short, is that it is a blog about me growing up Catholic in protestant Arkansas. I did that in an attempt to sort of separate myself from the thousands of other bloggers out there who are Catholics who blog. Yet, not a single post has been about that subject, and honestly, I don't know how much I have to say on that subject.

The reality is that this blog is not about much more than my current life. I guess that is ok, but I don’t know how that plays into my inspiration for this site. It started as a politically oriented blog, but in growing more in my faith I came to the realization that the Lord was calling me in another direction. Since that time, I cannot decide if this is a tool for growth in my own faith or one used to help others. Honestly, I don’t know that it matters because it has helped me. How it helps others is in God’s hands.

So, now the issue becomes do I change the name and if so, what to? Do I keep the current "theme" in the caption, if so, how much do I need to write about that theme (certainly more than zero as I have done up till now). If I change the "theme," what would the new "theme" be? Do the "theme" and the title have to match? How much input does the availability of a domain name play into the title? All these are questions that must be answered, so how do I do that.

In the process of writing this post I have been inspired to the new name, Growing Catholic. That name is available as a .com domain name and I cannot find a blog by that name already. So, that is it, the official new name of my blog. Now, its lunch time and then off to figure out what to do for the rest of the day.

No comments: