Monday, May 24, 2010

Humility before God

During my prayers tonight my mind drifted off to a time not to long ago when I received a complement about my lawyering ability from an attorney whom I admire greatly.  We had recently had a 3-day trial and a relative passed along some kind things the attorney had said.  I remember being humbled and honored that this attorney, whom in my estimation is the best courtroom tactician I have every seen in person. This got me to thinking about how other people when they win awards or are elected to a position say how humbled and grateful they are.  Whether they believe it or not, I think we can all relate to that feeling. 

Then I got to thinking that if I felt that way about this other attorney, and we all (at least should) feel that way when given an honor or placed in a position of responsibility, how can we not feel at least that when coming to God in prayer.  How do we dare speak when in God's presence?  How can we dare ask for anything?  How can we feel anything other than the utmost reverence and praise that such an awesome God would honor us by allowing us to call him Father.  "Our Father," the words that begin the Lord's Prayer should make our knees tremble and our hearts rejoice each time we say them.