Saturday, November 18, 2017

Ugh. Here it is a week since I have made an entry. It has been a stressful week no doubt. My desire to move forward in my spiritual and interior life have seen some progress, and no surprise it occurred because I have been less focused on myself and more focused on how blessed I truly am. 

This week we had a case on a teenager who traveled alone from Guatemala and got caught up when the vehicle he was in (with 10 other people in it) was pulled over. He walked from his home to the boarder and crossed illegally. 

The foster family speaks fluent Spanish, but he doesn’t. He speaks a Mayan dialect and zero English. The foster parent said he walked into the living room and set in the dark because he didn’t know how to turn on a light switch. 

There is something extremely humbling about thinking about the poverty this young man grew up in. Real poverty, not the moving target we use here in the United States. His parents, or at least the person answering the phone at the number an uncle living in Maryland had, claim to not know who he is. 

From what I have been told children in his situation are put out of the home at 12-14 as grown and forced to fend for themselves. And 

I am embarrassed and ashamed of what I consider my big problems to be compared to those persons.  Such grave injustices in this world. We should not turn a blind eye to the real trials in others’ lives. We must continue to focus on our blessings and trust in our Lord and Savior.  

No comments: