Saturday, November 11, 2017

Virgin Mary, window to salvation

I never took a philosophy class in college (I think I remember thinking it was useless and probably a little intimated, if I am being honest).  But you often hear of the old supposed philosophical stumper, “can God create a stone so big that he can’t move it?”

May people poo-poo that question. I think there is an easy answer, yes and he did so - the human race. God created us in his image and likeness and because he is Live, he gave us free will so that he cannot force us to love him back.  

We also have the opposite of that in Mary. God created our Blessed Mother without the stain of original sin. She inturn I would argue could only love God back and showed this love by her fiat. The Immaculate Conception continued to say yes and show her love by suffering with her Son every step of the way to the Cross. 

I like to think of Mary as a window. On the other side of that window is our Lord and Savior. The window is real and has its own qualities.  But you cannot look at the window without seeing what is on the other side. 

No comments: